Denmark’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians

Denmark’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians
Copenhagen, Denmark. Photo by Matt Graham.

If you’re an Australian aged between 18 and 35 years old, you can apply for a Working Holiday visa for Denmark.

This visa allows you to live in Denmark for up to 12 months. During this time you can undertake temporary work and study in Denmark, and travel within the Schengen Area. You are also entitled to enrol in subsidised Danish language classes.

However, you may only study for up to 3 months and work for a maximum of 6 months with this type of visa – and you cannot work more than 3 months for the same employer. You also cannot undertake “independent business activities”.

This page contains information about the Danish Working Holiday Visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 16 March 2024.

Key facts about Denmark

  • Population: Approx. 6 million
  • Official language: Danish
  • Capital city: Copenhagen
  • Largest cities: Copenhagen, Arhus, Odense, Aalborg, Frederiksberg
  • Name of the country in Danish: Danmark
  • Currency: Danish krone (DKK)
Copenhagen metro
Copenhagen, Denmark. Photo by Kai Pilger on

Denmark Working Holiday Visa requirements for Australians

In addition to Australians, Denmark offers working holiday visas to citizens of Argentina, Canada, Chile, Japan, New Zealand & South Korea.

The information on this page applies to Australian citizens. Please check the New to Denmark website for information applicable to citizens of other countries.

To apply for a Danish Working Holiday Visa as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Aged between 18-35 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
  • Have at least DKK18,000 (~AU$4,000) in funds
  • Have a return ticket to Denmark or enough money to purchase a flight home (at least DKK5,000, or ~AU$1,110)

You cannot apply for this visa if you:

  • Will be accompanied by dependent children
  • Have already completed a working holiday in Denmark

More information is available on the New to Denmark website.

Documents needed to apply for this visa

When applying for a Working Holiday Visa for Denmark as an Australian citizen, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Passport valid for at least 3 months after you intend to leave Denmark
  • Payment receipt for the visa processing fee
  • Copy of all pages of your passport, including all blank pages and the front & back covers
  • Proof of a return flight ticket to Denmark (or at least the equivalent of DKK5,000 to purchase one)
  • Bank statement/s showing you have the equivalent of at least DKK18,000 to support yourself initially in Denmark

The working holiday program agreement between Australia and Denmark does not require Australian citizens to provide proof of health or travel insurance. However, working holiday travel insurance is very highly recommended.

The visa processing fee is DKK2,490 (~AU$550).

How to apply for a Denmark Working Holiday Visa

You may apply for a Working Holiday Visa for Denmark online (recommended) up to 6 months before you intend to arrive in Denmark.

You could also apply at a Danish embassy/consulate abroad, or at a Norwegian embassy if there is no Danish mission in your country. It is also possible to apply at a SIRI branch office in Denmark, but only if you are already legally residing in Denmark and/or have not yet used up your 90-day visa-exempt period in the Schengen Area.

If you apply more than 6 months before your intended arrival date, your application can be refused and no refund will be issued.

Applications are completed online to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) and the entire process takes around 3 months.

The first step is to create a Case Order ID on the New to Denmark website and pay the processing fee. Then, gather all the required documents and submit your online application form.

If you are in Australia, you’ll need to then visit a VFS Global visa application centre in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide or Canberra to submit documents such as your passport and provide biometric data (photograph and fingerprints) within 14 days. (See the Danish government’s website for more details.) If you are already in Denmark, you can visit a SIRI office and in other countries, you can visit a Danish or Norwegian embassy/mission.

Once you’ve completed the application form and provided biometric data, you can expect to receive a decision within 3 months.

See the New to Denmark website for more information on the application process.

Arriving in Denmark

After arriving in Denmark, there are a number of things you’ll need to do to set up your new life there. One of the first things is to find a place to live.

Once you’ve moved into a new house or apartment, you’ll then be able to apply for a Central Person Register (CPR) number. This will allow you to do things like opening a bank account or going to the doctor in Denmark, and is compulsory if you’re staying in the country for more than three months. You may also need to get a tax card and NemID, among other things.

The Life in Denmark website contains lots of useful information about moving to Denmark. We’d highly recommend reading it.

While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!

Matt Graham

Matt is the founder of Working Holidays for Aussies. Passionate about travel and always looking for great deals, he believes that gap years & working holidays are the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture and gain invaluable life experience. Originally from Australia, Matt has travelled to over 80 countries and has lived in New Zealand, Germany, Austria and the Netherlands.

56 thoughts on “Denmark’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians

  1. Hi there, I’m currently 34 turning 35 in November, and considering applying for the Danish working holiday visa as it will be extended to 35 years (inclusive) from July 1st. I see the application process time is up to 3 months. Does this mean that I am able to apply at 35 in the last 3 or 4 months before I turn 36, as long as it is approved and I’m in Denmark by my 36th birthday? Thanks.

  2. Hello there, I was looking for holiday working visa, but my age was over I’m 41 this year, there is any option for me to apply for work there. I work at a chef in Australia.


  3. Hey,
    I checked the danish website and there is no mention of increasing the age, i even contacted the danish embassy they said they have not been informed about such changes.

    1. Hi there. This information came from the Australian government’s Home Affairs website:

      It says:

      “From 1 July 2022 the age limit for Italian and Danish citizens wanting to work and travel in Australia will increase by five years – from 30 to 35 years of age. Australian citizens up to the age of 35 will also benefit from reciprocal arrangements with Italy and Denmark.”

      So, the age limit for Danish citizens coming to Australia will increase from today. Perhaps it will take a little longer for the same to apply in reverse, but that is what has been agreed and advised by the Australian government.

  4. Hi,
    I am 31 and want to go live in Denmark for 1 year on the Working Holiday Visa. My Husband is 37 so is not able to qualify for the visa, can he come with me on an accompanying family members visa?

    1. Unfortunately no, the working holiday visa does not entitle you to bring accompanying family members. Your husband would need to qualify for a different type of visa on his own merit.

      Also, please note that the increased age limit from 30 to 35 for Australian working holiday makers in Denmark doesn’t seem to have come into effect yet (despite the announcement from the Australian government a couple of months ago, and the fact that Danish citizens aged up to 35 can now access working holiday visas in Australia).

      1. Are we allowed to work in Danish territories as well like Greendland or The Faroe Islands while on a Danish working holiday visa?

    1. I don’t know for sure, sorry. It should have been 1 July 2022 but the Danish government has not updated its website yet with the higher age limit and the embassy doesn’t seem to have been informed yet of the change.

  5. Hi there, does the working holiday visa permit for Denmark allow unrestricted access to the rest of the Schengen area for the duration of the 12 month working holiday visa period? (i.e. the tourist visa limit of a maximum of 90 days per 180 doesn’t apply?)

    1. You can travel to other parts of the Schengen Area during your time in Denmark, however you would need to spend the majority of your time in Denmark and you may also only live & work in Denmark. In other words,I don’t think you could just get a Danish working holiday visa and then spend the next 12 months in other Schengen countries.

      1. Would you still be able to spend 90 days in other countries of the Schengen area without Denmark counting to this 90 days?

  6. My son is 38, too old for a working holiday visa , his grandmother was born in Denmark not grandfather but great grandparents were born there, we still have many family members, my aunt and uncle, cousins etc living there. My aunt and uncle have offered for him to live with them for as long as he likes. My question is what are his chances of getting some kind of working visa or schooling to learn Danish as from what I read both grandparents have to be Danish and only 1 is, grandfather was born in the Netherlands , thanks, hope my question made sense

    1. Hi Karin. Unfortunately he won’t be able to get a working holiday visa for the reason you’ve identified. He may be eligible for another type of visa but that’s not something we cover here, sorry.

  7. Is the rule that you have to apply for the visa, receive it, and enter the relevant country prior to turning 36? Or is the rule only relevant to applying and receiving the visa prior to turning 36, with entry valid afterward? (although if I’m not mistaken you have to demonstrate that you’ve made a booking as part of the application process?)

  8. Hi Matt,
    Thanks you for your effort running this website.
    As you mentioned, “The working holiday program agreement between Australia and Denmark does not require Australian citizens to provide proof of health insurance due to the reciprocal healthcare agreement between the two countries.”
    Does that mean that we could access health services there?

    1. My apologies, there was a slight error in this guide which I have now corrected. The reason Australians are not required to provide proof of health insurance is that the working holiday agreement between Australia and Denmark does not provide for this as a visa requirement. This is stated here –

      However, Denmark and Australia do not have a reciprocal healthcare agreement (the guide previously said incorrectly that this was the case – sorry) so you would still need to purchase insurance or get a health card in Denmark (for example) to access health services.

      It is highly recommended to purchase travel/health insurance, even though it’s not an explicit visa requirement for Denmark.

      The Life In Denmark website might also have useful info on getting a Danish health card –

  9. Do you have any links for job recruiters in Denmark? With a particular focus on graduate built environment work, e.g. local government and urban planning; I’ve heard of Carrington West in the UK but don’t believe they operate in Denmark. Also, is there any expectation of Danish proficiency in the workplace or is English generally sufficient? Cheers!

    1. On your first question, this isn’t something we provide sorry.
      Regarding Danish proficiency, I believe it is possible to work in Denmark with English although it may limit the jobs available to you. For the kind of work you’d typically do on a working holiday visa, such as working in a bar/restaurant/hostel, English would be fine. In some professional environments, English would also likely be fine as there are many international people living in Denmark. But as you cannot work for more than 3 months with the same employer with a working holiday visa, this visa is not intended for people doing professional work similar to what you describe.

  10. Out of curiosity, is it possible to use a working holiday visa, and at the end of the 12 month period, immediately switch to a visitor visa in order to extend the trip? Or would such ‘consecutive visa’ usage not be permitted?

  11. Does anyone know what the approval process looks like? I’m hoping to apply from Australia, but I won’t be here in 2-3 months time. If I get approved, do I need to go anywhere in person, or is it solely an electronic process?

    1. It should be possible to submit your application from outside of Australia. You’ll still need to have your biometric information recorded (in person) at a Danish diplomatic mission abroad (or SIRI office) within 14 days after submitting your application online. See

      There is a list of places where you can do this on the New to Denmark website –

  12. Hello Matt & Forum.

    I’ve applied for my Danish Working Holiday Visa via VFS in Melbourne.
    It’s not clear to me how i will receive my visa. I’ve had a look on the various websites, you would think its electronic, but i cant find and answer. I’ve contacted VFS and waiting for an answer.

    Has anyone had their visa granted recently and how did they receive this?
    VGS will text / email me when my visa is processed, but is the visa an electronic authorisation via email for example or an old school sticker that is issued for your passport?

    Thank you


  13. Hi Mark,
    You’ll get a sms & then a parcel. Don’t be excited, it’ll have your passport from danish embassy.
    Second parcel will have your permit! Went through vfs Melb myself & found them useless. Them called me few days saying I didn’t sign their form lol
    You can track you application by this link:


  14. Hello Matt,
    Thanks for your work.
    I understood that one can apply for the visa before turning 36. However, does that mean if I apply for the visa say 6 months before turning 36, I will get 1 year visa and I can work even when I have crossed 36 years of age.
    OR I will only get working visa of 6 months and I have stop working after my 36th birthday?


    1. You just have to apply before your 36th birthday. If you then turn 36 mid-way through the year during your stay in Denmark, you can still stay in the country for the full 12 months until your visa expires.

  15. Hi there,
    Do I have to receive the visa from where I applied for it? As I see the processing time takes three months but I am leaving for my trip in less than three months. However I wont be in Denmark until much later.

    1. I don’t think you necessarily have to wait at the same place where you applied for the visa for the whole three months, but I’m not 100% sure about this. You may wish to have a read of this webpage:

      In particular, I note one of the FAQs says: “Regardless of your location after you have submitted your application, it is important that SIRI has correct information about your address and phone number making it possible for us to contact your regarding your application.”

  16. Hi Matt
    If I apply and am granted a Danish working holiday visa what are my travel conditions to stay in other countries within the Schengen Zone? Do I still need to abide by the 90-180 rule?

    1. Hi Ben. This question has come up many times in the comments of this article:

      I can’t give you a definitive answer, but my understanding is that you are able to travel in other Schengen countries while your Danish visa remains valid, as long as you spend the majority of your time in the Schengen Area in Denmark. Also note that you may only live & work in Denmark, and not elsewhere in Europe with this visa.

  17. Hi there,
    Does the working visa limit you to a particular industry? I am looking to teach internationally and Denmark is on the list of places at the moment.
    Thank you

    1. No, the Danish working holiday visa doesn’t require you to work in a specific field. The main restrictions are as follows, as per the New to Denmark website:

      “The primary purpose of your stay in Denmark must be holidaying. Because it is a working holiday, you are allowed to work for up to 6 months, but you must not work for the same employer for more than 3 months or take a regular job. This means that your employment must be limited and not exceed the 3 months you are allowed to work for the same employer during your working holiday.”


      “The work permit allows you to carry out salaried work. The work permit does not allow you to engage in independent business activities.”

  18. Hi Matt,

    Just wondering, when the visa is approved, how long do I have to enter Denmark to start the visa please?I’d like to go travel before hand on the 90 day schengen visa free thing and don’t want to activate it before then. Thank you

  19. Hi I’m wondering, can you easily convert or reapply from the working holiday visa to a working visa if you find a good job and want to stay in Denmark?

    1. Hi Mia, it’s not really possible to “convert” a working holiday visa into a different type of visa. However, if you meet the requirements for a different type of visa down the track, then you could apply for a new visa. This is treated as a separate application.

  20. Hi Matt,
    I’m thinking of getting a Denmark holiday working visa this year. If there’s a 3-month job restriction, can I limit my stay for 3 months, live in a hostel/hotel, and not need a Central Person Register number?
    Thanks heaps!

    1. Technically, this is only mandatory if you stay for more than 3 months, but you need a CPR to receive a salary in Denmark. If you plan to rent an apartment or get a job in Denmark, you may need a CPR number anyway. If you’re not planning to work in Denmark and stay in a hostel/s, with a total stay of less than 3 months, you may not need a visa at all and could just stay as a tourist for up to 90 days.

      1. Hi Matt, thanks for all the info. When you say that you do not need to get a CPR number unless you are staying for three months – is this a rule, or do you mean you can use your 90 travel days for the first 3 months and then apply?
        In otherwords – do I need to use my Schengen visa days until I get a CPR/does my residence permit not become valid until I get a CPR?

        1. Hi there. Firstly, if you’re Australian you don’t get a “Schengen visa” as you don’t need a visa to enter the Schengen Area as a tourist for up to 90 days out of every 180 days.

          If you want to travel to Denmark only as a tourist, and for less than three months, you don’t need a visa or a CPR. If you want to work in Denmark and/or stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for a working holiday visa before you arrive in the country and then get your CPR after arrival.

          You can also apply for a Danish working holiday visa from within Denmark if you haven’t yet used up your 90 Schengen days. But you won’t be able to work while waiting for your application to be approved, and I don’t necessarily recommend this as the process itself could take 3 months.

  21. Thanks Matt – what I meant was, if I have been approved for a residence permit, when I arrive in Denmark – if it takes me a couple of weeks to find a residence once I’m there (and then go and get my TMR) does it eat into my visa free schengen days (90 days) until I apply for the CPR? Or as long as I have the approved residence permit, I dont need to use my visa free schengen days regardless of whether I get a CPR or not?
    e.g If I arrive on March 1st, but dont get a rental till March 20th (20 days), does this mean my schengen days go from 90 to 70? Or remain at 90 because I have the residence permit regardless of whether I have a CPR?

    Sorry I know its a bit confusing and hard to explain.

  22. Hello – wondering if you might have some information regarding switching from a residence permit to a 90-day tourist permit when my visa expires on 01 June 2024. I entered Denmark on my work permit on 15 June 203.

    I have planned to fly to Italy on 01 June 2024 for 2 weeks, fly back to Copenhagen, and then fly home on the 16 June 2024, is this allowed and will I automatically switch to my 90-day tourist visa once my visa expires

    or do I have to get a stamp on my passport somehow exiting and re-enter?

    1. I can’t give you personal advice on this, but I would suggest that you should probably leave the Schengen Area (and get an exit stamp) before your Danish residence permit expires. I believe it should be OK to then re-enter the Schengen Area for up to 90 days as a tourist, but you should seek proper advice on this.

  23. Hello, I’m not sure if you know the answer to this but i’ll ask here anyway-
    I have a question about obtaining a CPR number on arrival in Denmark-

    I have been successful in obtaining a work holiday visa in Denmark and i will enter the country on July 20th as per my visa

    I understand that i must apply for a CPR number within 3 months of arrival to be employed. It says that I need to show proof of a permanent residential address (rental agreement etc) in order to apply for a CPR number.

    As per my visa restrictions, i can only work for one employer for up to 3 months.

    I’m wondering what the likelihood of obtaining a permanent residential address is like with only being able to work for 6 months total? How can I find a permanent address upon arrival with no employment and no CPR number yet?

    I’m finding this requirement difficult to comprehend as i believe the basis of the work holiday visa as per the website states- ‘The primary purpose of your stay in Denmark must be holidaying’

    Any help or assistance into this matter would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to stay in Denmark for the full year to work and travel with ease with a CPR number

    1. If you’re able to explain to a potential landlord that you’re planning to stay for 6-12 months, have a working holiday visa and will apply for a CPR as soon as you have the rental, I think you’ll be OK. There are lots of people who move to Denmark for a similar amount of time (e.g. university students).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *