Ireland’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians

Ireland’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians
Cobh, Ireland. Photo by Jason Murphy on Unsplash.

If you’re an Australian aged between 18 and 35 years old, you could be eligible for a Working Holiday Authorisation to live in Ireland for up to 12 months!

Want to learn more? This page contains information about the Irish working holiday visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 9 November 2022.

Key facts about Ireland

  • Population: Approx. 5 million
  • Official languages: Irish & English
  • Capital city: Dublin
  • Largest cities: Dublin, Cork, Louth, Limerick, Galway
  • Name of the country in Irish: Éire
  • Currency: Euro
red stall
Dublin, Ireland. Photo by Mark Dalton on

Ireland Working Holiday Authorisation requirements

Ireland offers working holiday visas to citizens of Australia, Argentina, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan & USA. See the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs website for more information.

This information applies to Australian citizens and may be different for citizens of other countries.

As Australians do not require a visa to entire Ireland, the agreement between the two countries is based on a Working Holiday Authorisation. This document allows Australians to undertake casual work in Ireland without a work permit, but only for up to six months with a single employer.

To apply for an Irish Working Holiday Authorisation as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Aged between 18-35 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
  • Have at least AUD5,000 in funds, or AUD2,500 if you also have a booked return flight ticket to Ireland

Documents needed to apply

When applying for a Working Holiday Authorisation for Ireland as an Australian citizen, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Completed application form
  • Your passport (which should be valid until at least 3 months after you intend to depart Ireland)
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs
  • Bank statement/s showing sufficient funds (at least AUD5,000) and/or plane ticket/s
  • Copies of educational qualifications/certificates, or, if you are still a student, a letter from your college to that effect
  • Current CV/resumé with references

There is an AUD95 processing fee, and the normal processing time is 15 business days. If you need a faster turnaround, you can pay a higher AUD195 fee to have your application processed within 5 business days of the embassy receiving all required documentation.

You will also need to provide a self-addressed Australia Post envelope for the return of your passport.

How to apply for an Irish Working Holiday Authorisation as an Australian citizen

You’ll need to apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation in either Australia or the UK, before you arrive in Ireland.

If applying in Australia, you can send all required documents to the Embassy of Ireland in Canberra. The address in Yarralumla, ACT is available on the Irish embassy’s website.

Alternatively, if you’re already in the UK, you may apply via the Irish visa office in London. In this case, the processing time is 4-6 weeks (as the visa itself is still processed in Canberra) and the processing fee is GBP51.

You’ll then have a year to activate your Authorisation by travelling to Ireland. It will be activated as soon as you arrive in the country. Once activated, the Authorisation is valid for 12 months.

See the Irish embassy website for more information about applying for a Working Holiday Authorisation as an Australian citizen.

Arriving in Ireland

After you arrive in Ireland, you’ll then also need to apply for a Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) Registration Card. You should do this as soon as possible after arrival and must do so within 3 months. It can be done either by making an appointment at the INIS Burgh Quay Registration office in Dublin, or at your local Garda (police) station if you live outside Dublin. You may book your appointment before you arrive in Ireland as there can be long waiting times. A €300 (approx. AUD465) fee applies for the registration card.

You’ll be permitted to commence temporary work once you have the Working Holiday Authorisation and your GNIB card.

Once in Ireland, you may also need to get a Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) from the Department of Social Protection.

While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!

Matt Graham

Matt Graham

Matt is the founder of Working Holidays for Aussies. Passionate about travel and always looking for great deals, he believes that gap years & working holidays are the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture and gain invaluable life experience. Originally from Australia, Matt has travelled to over 60 countries and has lived in New Zealand, Germany, Austria and the Netherlands.

23 thoughts on “Ireland’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians

  1. Have I calculated it correctly that the working holiday visas are valid up to and INCLUDING age 35? i.e. I am eligible for them before I turn 36?

    1. Hi Luke how are you doing this evening? I’m Rufus from Sydney, I’m 42 years of age, and I want to apply for an Ireland working visa.

  2. Is the rule that you have to apply for the visa, receive it, and enter the relevant country prior to turning 36? Or is the rule only relevant to applying and receiving the visa prior to turning 36, with entry valid afterward? (although if I’m not mistaken you have to demonstrate that you’ve made a booking as part of the application process?)

  3. Do you have any links for job recruiters in Ireland? With a particular focus on graduate built environment work, e.g. local government and urban planning; I’ve heard of Carrington West in the UK but don’t believe they operate in Ireland. Cheers!

  4. Out of curiosity, is it possible to use a working holiday visa, and at the end of the 12 month period, immediately switch to a visitor visa in order to extend the trip? Or would such ‘consecutive visa’ usage not be permitted?

    1. You could always apply for a new type of visa once the working holiday visa expires, if you are eligible for a different visa type, but this would be totally unrelated to the working holiday visa. (As you’re probably aware, it’s not possible to renew the working holiday visa or “transfer” this to a different type, i.e. in a way where your previous visa gives you any sort of leverage.)

      If you’re asking whether you can simply remain in Ireland for an extra 3 months as a tourist after your visa expires – I don’t know the answer to this, sorry, but I suspect it would be “no”. At the very least, I fully expect you’d need to leave the country before your visa expires and then return (if you want to and are eligible) at a later time.

      Please note that this is not legal advice. Please check with the relevant authorities if you have any doubt.

  5. Is it possible to work in other Europen countries with a WHV from Ireland? Asking because I’m over 30 and wanted to go originally to Norway.

  6. Hi Matt,

    Your website is literally a godsend! Thank you!

    I’m 31 and ineligible for many Working Holiday visas (given they cut off at 30). But I am hoping to stay in Europe for longer than the 90-day Schengen visa for Aussies.

    Would it be possible to get an Irish Working Holiday visa and then live (but not work) in a different Schengen country?

    Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

    1. No, an Irish working holiday visa would not give you the right to live in another Schengen country for an extended period. While you can travel to other European countries for short trips while living in Ireland, this visa only lets you be a resident and work in Ireland.

  7. Hi, this is great information. From my research I believe I can also take my dependent into Ireland with this agreement. Do you know anything or where I could find information about if my daughter was to go to secondary school if it would have to be a private school that we pay for, or is she eligible to go to public school?

    1. I can’t help with this, sorry.

      Also, while the Irish embassy website doesn’t specify that you cannot bring dependent children on a working holiday, I’m not sure how this would work in practice or whether your daughter would be eligible to get her own visa. You should probably discuss this with the embassy if in doubt.

  8. Hi! Thanks for this info! Now considering the working holiday authorisation is not a visa, I am confused as to how we have up to 6 months working in Ireland if Australian citizens can only remain in ireland up to 90 days without a visa? Or is there also a visa we have to apply for in conjunction to the authorisation?? Thank you in advance!

    1. If you have the Working Holiday Authorisation, you can stay in Ireland for up to a year and work for up to six months per employer, just as you would with a visa. Don’t overthink it, the fact it’s not called a visa just a technicality 🙂

  9. thank you for the information, one question, is the visa for Ireland only available for people with degrees?

  10. fantastic, just curious because it says in the required forms that you need to provide college or university transcripts as part of the application?
    so the only requirement are that your are between 18-35 and have the appropriate savings?

    1. Pretty much. Academic records are a required document, but if you don’t have a university degree, you could just show proof of your highest level of education.

      1. my highest level of education is only year 11.
        but I have a resume with nearly 10 years of chefing experience, would it be likely I would be granted the visa?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *