Turkey’s Work & Holiday Visa for Australians
If you’re an Australian aged between 18 and 30 years old and you’ve completed at least two years of university education, you may be eligible to apply for a Turkish Work and Holiday visa.
This allows you to live and work in Turkey (also called Türkiye) for up to 12 months. That’s a lot of time to experience life in Turkey and try lots of delicious Turkish food! You may be able to study for up to four months while in Turkey.
With this visa you can leave and re-enter the country as many times as you like during the year. But you can’t work for more than six months for the same Turkish employer.
This page contains information about Turkey’s working holiday visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 9 February 2022.
Key facts about Turkey
- Population: Approx. 85 million
- Official language: Turkish
- Capital city: Ankara
- Largest cities: Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Bursa, Adana, Gaziantep
- Name of the country in Turkish: Türkiye
- Currency: Turkish lira (TRY)
Turkish Work and Holiday Visa requirements for Australians
In addition to Australians, Turkey offers working holiday visas to citizens of New Zealand. This information may differ for New Zealand citizens.
To apply for a Turkish Work & Holiday Visa as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:
- Aged between 18-30 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
- Have a university degree or successfully completed at least two years of undergraduate study
- Have good health and no criminal record
You cannot apply for this visa if you:
- Will be accompanied by dependent children
- Have already used the Turkish Work and Holiday visa
Documents needed to apply for this visa
When applying for this visa, documents required may include:
- Australian passport with at least six months of validity after you intend to leave Turkey
- Bank statement/s showing you have sufficient funds to support yourself in Turkey (e.g. at least AUD5,000)
- Return ticket to Turkey or proof of enough money to buy one
- Proof of university degree or at least two years of successfully completed higher education
- Recent passport-sized photograph
- Proof of adequate travel/health insurance to cover your entire stay in Turkey
- Letter of Australian government support
These requirements could change. Please check with the Turkish Embassy or Consulate General for up-to-date information.
The Work and Holiday visa fee in 2022 is AUD495, however this is subject to change.
How to apply for a Turkish Working Holiday Visa
Please contact the Turkish Embassy in Canberra or the Turkish Consulate General in either Sydney or Melbourne for more information about this visa.
To apply for this type of visa, you would need to visit a Turkish embassy or consulate in person (rather than using online Turkey’s online e-visa portal). However, you may need to pre-fill some information online before making your appointment.
See the instructions on the Turkish Consulate General Sydney website (PDF).
If you’re thinking of moving to Turkey, you may also find it helpful to connect with other Aussies who’ve already made the journey through the Aussies Living in Turkey or Australians and New Zealanders in Istanbul Facebook groups!
While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!