Greece’s Work & Holiday Visa for Australians

Greece’s Work & Holiday Visa for Australians
Santorini, Greece. Photo: Adobe Stock.

If you’re an Australian aged between 18 and 30 years old and have completed at least two years of university education, you can apply for a Work and Holiday visa to live in Greece for up to 12 months!

This visa also allows you to work in Greece for a maximum of six months per employer (except not as an au-pair), study in Greece for up to four months, and leave & re-enter Greece as many times as you like during your holiday.

This page contains information about the Greek Work and Holiday Visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 6 October 2022.

Key facts about Greece (Hellenic Republic)

  • Population: Approx. 10 million
  • Official language: Greek
  • Capital city: Athens
  • Largest cities: Athens, Thessaloniki, Patras, Larissa, Heraklion
  • Name of the country in Greek: Ελλάδα (Hellada)
  • Currency: Euro
Athens Greece
Athens, Greece. Photo by Jimmy Teoh on

Greece Work and Holiday Visa requirements for Australians

In addition to Australians, Greece offers working holiday visas to citizens of Canada. The information on this page applies to Australian citizens.

To apply for a Greek Work and Holiday Visa as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Aged between 18-30 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
  • Hold tertiary qualifications, or have successfully completed at least two years of university study
  • Have enough money to support yourself in Greece (at least €3,000 or approx. AUD4,600)
  • Have an onward/return ticket from Greece or enough money to buy one
  • Have good health and meet Greece’s character requirements

You cannot apply for this visa if you:

  • Will be accompanied by dependent children
  • Have already participated in the working holiday program in Greece

See the Memorandum of Understanding between Australia and Greece for the full terms of this reciprocal agreement.

Documents needed to apply for this visa

When applying for a Working Holiday Visa for Greece as an Australian citizen, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Australian passport with at least two blank pages and expiring at least 3 months after your intended departure date from Greece
  • Completed long-stay visa application form
  • Recent passport-sized photo
  • Return flight ticket to Greece, or proof of sufficient funds to buy an onward/return ticket
  • Proof of university degree/s or having successfully completed at least two years of tertiary study
  • Bank statement/s from the past six months showing you have at least the equivalent of €3,000 (approx. AUD4,600)
  • A criminal record certificate issued by Australian authorities
  • A medical certificate issued by a recognised institution, stating that you don’t pose a risk to public health
  • Proof of travel/health insurance providing at least €30,000 (approx. AUD50,000) coverage for emergency medical expenses, hospitalisation and repatriation costs for the entire duration of the stay in Greece
  • Letter of Australian government support

There is a visa fee of €75 (approx. AUD115) and a stamp fee for issuing the residence permit of €150 (approx. AUD230). These fees must be paid in cash in Australian Dollars at the exchange rate at the time of application.

See the Greece in Australia website for more details.

How to apply for a Greek Work and Holiday Visa

To apply for a Greek Work and Holiday Visa, you’ll need to make contact one of the following Greek Missions in Australia, depending on where you live, to make an appointment to submit your visa application in person:

  • Greek Consular Section of the Embassy of Greece in Canberra (ACT residents only)
  • Greek Consulate General in Adelaide (SA & NT residents only)
  • Greek Consulate General in Melbourne (VIC & TAS residents only)
  • Greek Consulate General in Sydney (NSW & QLD residents only)
  • Greek Consulate in Perth (WA residents only)

You’ll find the contact details for each mission and make an appointment on the Greece in Australia website.

Arriving in Greece

Once your visa has been issued, you’ll be able to travel to Greece. After arriving, you’ll need to visit an Aliens and Immigration Department of the Decentralized Administration office in your new place of residence in Greece and submit an application & supporting documents to receive your residence permit.

Once you’re ready to move, you may also find it helpful to connect with other Australians in Greece in the GREEK/AUSTRALIANS LIVING IN GREECE – “GRAUSSIES” Facebook group.

While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!

Matt Graham

Matt is the founder of Working Holidays for Aussies. Passionate about travel and always looking for great deals, he believes that gap years & working holidays are the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture and gain invaluable life experience. Originally from Australia, Matt has travelled to over 80 countries and has lived in New Zealand, Germany, Austria and the Netherlands.

34 thoughts on “Greece’s Work & Holiday Visa for Australians

    1. You might be able to get a work visa (this is also a D visa) if you can get sponsorship from a Greek employer and are eligible for that. But this is not related to the working holiday visa and not something we cover on Working Holidays for Aussies.

  1. If we want to get the visa for August 2023, but wont be in Australia during July (after the visa period resets), can we apply in advance or needs to be done after the reset? Can we apply from a different country?

    1. I believe you need to apply in person, but I don’t know if this specifically needs to be at a Greek consulate or embassy in Australia. You might wish to get in touch with your nearest consulate to ask them directly, as well as how far in advance you’re able to apply for this visa ahead of travelling to Greece.

  2. Do you know if the embassy is now taking appointments for these visas? I’ve tried to contact them a few times this year without any reply.

      1. Hey,
        Yes I’ve tried both. When I called they just seemed to get frustrated at me and didn’t know any information to help my question. But I will reach out again soon.

        1. That’s very frustrating (for you).

          I’m not really sure what else to suggest, other than to try contacting a Greek consulate in a different state? And if you still have no luck, it might be worth contacting the Department of Home Affairs since this is a bilateral agreement (Australia is issuing visas to Greek citizens) and Greece appears to not be honouring its end of the agreement if they are making it impossible to actually apply for a Work and Holiday visa.

  3. Also do you know where I can find the medical certificate to get signed? I swear there was one last year to take to a doctor, but I can’t seem to find it?

  4. You’ve been so much help! Thank you so much I really appreciate it! I’ve been waiting for this visa since covid started

  5. Sorry another question 😅
    I’ve completed a bachelor degree which is part of the visa requirement, does it matter how long ago I completed it to applying for the visa?

    Also it says 18-30, means I have to apply before my 30th birthday or before my 31st birthday?

    1. No, it doesn’t matter when you got your degree. You can apply any time before your 31st birthday (assuming the Greek embassy/consulate accepts your application!).

  6. If I have completed 1 & 1/2 years of tertiary study will I be considered or do you have to complete 2 years exactly?

  7. Hey Matt,

    I just had a question regarding the study requirements of the visa.
    I have a Diploma through tertiary study (TAFE) but the course was under 2 years, would this still be accepted as holding a tertiary qualification?

    1. Hi Maddy,
      The Greek government doesn’t specify on its website whether a TAFE diploma would qualify. The wording on their website is “They should have a degree of tertiary education or they have successfully completed at least two (2) years undergraduate university studies”. (See

      My interpretation of this is that a TAFE diploma is probably sufficient, but you should contact your nearest Greek consular office directly if in doubt as they ultimately will decide whether to approve your visa application.

      For what it’s worth, the Australian government accepts diplomas (but not Certificate I-IV level qualifications) from Greek citizens applying for an Australian Work and Holiday visa, so I think you’ll be OK!

  8. Hi Matt,

    I was wondering if I am able to apply for the visa in the UK (I am an AUS citizen). I am about to leave for the UK and I don’t have time to get it. I will not have a UK Visa.

    Thanks 🙂

    1. My understanding is that you need to apply in Australia. But you could perhaps try contacting the Greek embassy in the UK to ask them directly.

  9. Hi Matt
    We are about to travel to Greece for work and we are being told that this visa is useless in a lot of situations as we need to get a Greek tax and social security number to work in Greece. Seeing as we already have this visa is there anyone that could help us get the relevant documents that would allow us to work? It would be a shame if the visa was void after going through the process to get it!

  10. Hi
    My friend and I have the Working Holiday visa for Greece but apparently it is useless unless we get tax file numbers and social security numbers in Greece. Is there anyone we can talk to in Australia that can help us with this process – otherwise we can’t work and the visa is useless 🙁

    1. Hi Mia,
      I’m just wondering if you found a solution to this? Were you able to work in Greece? I’m wanting to apply for this visa but can’t find any information in regards to needing tax file numbers/ social security numbers/ anything other than the visa itself

  11. Hello! Does the Greek working holiday visa allow you to travel within the Schengen zone for more than 90 days in a 180 day period?

    1. Officially, I don’t think so. In practice I’m not sure whether this is really enforced and/or if anyone would check. You can travel in the Schengen Area while your Greek visa remains valid, but technically you are supposed to spend most of your time in Greece and you may not work/live in other countries.

  12. Hi Matt, just curious whether or not you have to work if you apply for this visa. I see in the application form it asks for information about your greek employer, can I just leave that blank if I dont have a job lined up in Greece? Thanks

  13. Hello,
    Just wanting to check if a diploma or a university degree are the only forms of tertiary study that are valid? Having a Certificate 3 & 4 would not be enough?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *