Mongolia’s Work & Holiday Visa for Australians
Australia and Mongolia signed a Work and Holiday visa agreement in 2022. Since July 2022, this has allowed up to 100 Mongolians per year to come to Australia on a subclass 462 visa. Now, Mongolia is also making Work and Holiday visas available to Australian citizens under the reciprocal arrangement.
Up to 100 Australian citizens aged 18-30 can apply for a Work and Holiday visa each year. This allows Australian visa holders to enjoy a holiday in Mongolia for up to a year, with incidental work allowed during the stay.
Until 2025, Australian tourists can travel to Mongolia for up to 30 days without a visa. But if you’d like to stay longer, or perhaps do some casual work during your stay, then the Work & Holiday visa could be for you.
This page contains useful information about the Mongolian working holiday visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 17 December 2023.
Key facts about Mongolia
- Population: Approx. 3.3 million
- Official language: Mongolian (Russian is also widely spoken)
- Capital city: Ulaanbaatar
- Currency: Mongolian Tugrik (MNT)
Mongolia Working Holiday Visa requirements
This information is applicable to Australian citizens only.
To apply for a Mongolian working holiday visa as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:
- Aged between 18-30 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
- Hold tertiary qualification/s or have successfully completed at least two years of undergraduate university study
- Have enough savings to support yourself during your stay in Mongolia
- Have an onward ticket out of Mongolia (or enough money to purchase one)
- Be in good health
You cannot apply for this visa if you:
- Will be accompanied by dependent children
- Have a criminal record
- Have already held a Mongolian working holiday visa
More information is available on the website of the Mongolian embassy in Canberra.
Documents needed to apply for this visa
When applying for a working holiday visa for Portugal as an Australian citizen, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Valid Australian passport
- Bank statement/s showing sufficient financial means to support yourself (at least AUD5,000 – excluding the cost of flights if you haven’t yet purchased these)
- Proof of return flights to Mongolia, or a ticket to Mongolia and proof of sufficient funds to purchase a ticket out of the country
- University certificate proving your tertiary qualification/s or confirming you have completed at least two years of full-time university study
- Police certificate showing you don’t have a criminal record
- Medical certificate from a doctor who has examined you, stating you are in good health
- A letter of Australian government support
Although travel insurance is not listed on the Mongolian embassy website as a specific requirement for this visa, it is strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance.
The visa costs approximately AUD328. This amount is subject to change.
How to apply for a Mongolia Working Holiday Visa
Mongolia has introduced electronic visa applications. You can apply for this visa online using the Mongolian government’s e-visa website.
Arriving in Mongolia
Within one week of arriving in Mongolia, you must register with the Immigration Agency of Mongolia.
While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!