Slovakia’s Working Holiday Visa for Australians
If you’re an Australian aged between 18 and 30 years old, you can apply for a working holiday visa in the Slovak Republic (Slovakia). This allows you to live in Slovakia for up to 12 months. During your stay, you can also travel within the rest of Europe’s Schengen Area for up to 90 out of every 180 days!
With a working holiday visa, you can also study in Slovakia for up to 4 months and take up temporary work, but not for more than 6 months with the same employer.
This page contains information about the Slovak Republic’s Work and Holiday Visa for Australian citizens. It was last updated on 25 September 2022.
Key facts about Slovakia
- Population: Approx. 5.5 million
- Official language: Slovak
- Capital city: Bratislava
- Largest cities: Bratislava, Košice, Žilina, Prešov, Nitra
- Name of the country in Slovak: Slovensko (Slovenská republika)
- Currency: Euro
Slovakia Work and Holiday Visa requirements for Australians
In addition to Australians, Slovakia offers working holiday visas to citizens of Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea & Taiwan.
The information on this page applies to Australian citizens. For information applicable to citizens of other countries, please check with the relevant Slovak embassy.
To apply for a Slovakia Work and Holiday visa as an Australian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:
- Aged between 18-30 years old (inclusive) at the time of application
- Hold tertiary qualification/s or have successfully completed at least 2 years of undergraduate university education
- Have at least €2,500 (approx. AUD3,800) in savings
- Have a return ticket to Slovakia or at least €1,500 (approx. AUD2,300) to buy one
- Have comprehensive travel insurance to cover your entire stay in Slovakia
- Are in good health and satisfy Slovakia’s character requirements
You cannot apply for this visa if you:
- Will be accompanied by dependent children
- Have previously participated in the Work and Holiday scheme in the Slovak Republic
Documents needed to apply for this visa
When applying for a Work and Holiday visa for Slovakia as an Australian citizen, you will need to provide both an original and copy of the following documents:
- Completed and signed application form for a national visa
- Your passport, valid for at least 18 months from the date of application
- Passport-sized photo
- Bank statement/s showing you have at least €2,500 (approx. AUD3,800) in savings
- Proof of return ticket, or at least €1,500 (or equivalent) to buy one
- Proof of tertiary qualification/s or completed university study
- Proof of your current occupation or student status in Australia
- Proof of adequate medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance (see below)
- If you have any criminal convictions, you must declare these with your application
- Letter of Australian government support
A visa fee may apply.
You will also need to provide a pre-paid, self-addressed registered post envelope for the return of your passport if you would like your visa to be posted to you.
More information about this visa and the required documents may be available on the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Canberra website, although note that this embassy has permanently closed.
Travel insurance requirement
Slovakia requires that your travel or health insurance provides at least €30,000 (approx. AUD50,000) in coverage for medical expenses, hospitalisation and repatriation costs. This insurance must be valid during your entire stay in Slovakia.
When applying for your visa, your insurance letter must include:
- Your name
- The insurance validity period
- The amount of coverage provided for medical, hospitalisation and repatriation expenses
See our working holiday travel insurance guide for tips on choosing a suitable policy.
How to apply for a Slovakia Working Holiday Visa
The only way for Australians to apply for this visa used to be in person at the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Canberra. However, as this embassy has closed, you could try making an appointment with the Slovak Republic Consulate General in Sydney.
You will need to book an appointment prior to your visit. Bring a completed “National Visa” application form and all required documents to your appointment.
It may take up to 30 days to process your visa application, once all required documents have been submitted.
See the Slovak embassy website for more details. Please contact the Slovak Consulate General in Sydney to make an appointment or if you have further questions.
While best efforts are made to keep this information updated, we do not guarantee its accuracy. If you spot an error, would like to suggest new information to be added or simply have a question, please let us know in the comments and we’ll endeavour to respond or update the article as quickly as possible!